I love tacos. I mean I LOVE tacos! Anything that even resembles a taco I absolutely love.
Southwestern Egg Rolls are my favorite taco inspired dish! Last summer, my Aunt Linda and Uncle John showed my mom and me how to make them. We loved them!
This dish takes a bit of time to prepare, but the results are absolutely worth the extra time.
- 3 chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 bag (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans, drained, rinsed well
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped—about 1 cup loosely measured
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups grated hot pepper cheese or cheddar cheese
- 36 medium Tortilla Land® uncooked tortillas
- Cube chicken breast halves. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, put fresh spinach. Let spinach cook down, stirring gently.
- Drain spinach in a colander. Several times sop spinach with paper towels until it is quite dry. Cut into small pieces. Set aside on a plate spreading spinach to cool.
- Put corn and black beans in colander. Rinse with cold water.
- In a very large bowl, put corn and black beans.
- Chop red bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and tomatoes. Add to corn and beans. Toss lightly.
- Put 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frying pan. Heat over medium heat. Add corn, black beans, red bell pepper, onion, zucchini, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle parsley, cumin, and chili powder over vegetables when vegetables are par cooked. Stir. Remove from heat. If there is a lot of liquid, sop out with paper towels. Set aside in large bowl to cool.
- Put 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken pieces. Cook stirring just until chicken is done—four or five minutes. Put in large bowl to cool. Set aside.
- Grate cheese onto a cutting board.
- When spinach, vegetables, and chicken are slightly cool, combine in the largest bowl with cheese and chicken.
- Heat medium frying pan—no oil—put one tortilla in the pan at a time, cooking on both sides until pliable and slightly brown. Remove to a clean cutting board.
- Place about ½ cup mixture on tortilla in the middle. Fold flap closest to you over, tucking the filling under it. Fold the two sides in tightly. Roll the tortilla to close the Southwestern egg roll. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, heat a medium frying pan and place the Southwestern egg rolls open flap down. Turn periodically until four sides of egg roll are slightly crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot with avocado slices, salsa, enchilada sauce, or sour cream.
Modeled after the Chili's® appetizer.