This is an updated version of my previous enchilada recipe. It’s tasty and refreshing. How could anyone not like enchiladas?
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, partially frozen
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 can white beans
- 1 ½ cups cheddar or pepper cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried red hot pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground, black pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 can green chile enchilada sauce
- 10-12 Tortillaland® tortillas, uncooked
- Remove chicken breasts from the freezer when partially frozen. Dice the meat into bite-size pieces.
- Put salsa in a sealable gallon plastic bag. Place the chicken in the bag. Seal and gently spread the salsa over the chicken. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove from refrigerator. Drain off salsa and moisture.
- In a large frying pan, cook the chicken over medium to high heat, stirring continuous to allow all the chicken pieces to cook evenly.
- Dice the onion and red pepper. Put diced onion and red pepper in the frying pan, mixing into the chicken. Stir gently for two minutes.
- Drain white beans and rinse with water. Add to frying pan mixture. Stir gently to mix in.
- In a large bowl combine cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, and green chile enchilada sauce, mashing the cream cheese with a fork to make the mixture somewhat smooth.
- Pour cream cheese mixture in frying pan over cooked chicken mixture.
- Stir to combine. Simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a different frying pan over medium heat, cook the tortillas on both sides leaving them supple enough to roll.
- Put one-quarter to one-third of a cup of mixture on each cooked tortilla. Roll up tightly. Spray 9”x13” baking pan with Pam®. Place rolled up enchiladas next to each other in a baking pan. Cover with foil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 minutes longer. Remove from over. Serve with salsa and shredded lettuce.