Today is Pi Day, which of course means it is also Pie Day!
I do prefer the edible pie to the mathematical Pi. Who doesn’t? Frankly, I also try to avoid pie graphs whenever possible. But I never avoid strawberry pie!
- 1 package graham crackers—about 1/3 of a pound box
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 pounds strawberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Break graham crackers into the food processor. Pulse until they are small granules. Pour into a large pie dish.
- Slightly melt butter in the microwave. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and nutmeg to graham cracker crumbs.
- With a fork, mix all ingredients together.
- Press with your fingers the mixture against the sides and bottom of the pie dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, combine ¾ cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Wash, hull and slice 5-6 large strawberries. Put in food processor and pulse until pieces are very small.
- To the saucepan, add processed strawberries, lemon juice and pineapple juice.
- Over medium heat bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to low and stir while mixture simmers and thickens—for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set glaze mixture aside to cool.
- Wash, hull and slice remaining strawberries. Place in the cooled graham cracker crust.
- Pour cooled glaze mixture over the strawberries. Refrigerate for two hours. Serve with whipped heavy cream.