Ever tried to focus on including more of one kind of food into your diet? I’ve been trying to eat more shrimp, but sometimes I run out of easy ways to incorporate it.
Enter couscous! I’ve done shrimp with pasta, but never couscous. They pair very well together!
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 3/4 pounds uncooked jumbo shrimp
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons white grape juice, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 head fresh cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine in a large bowl 2 teaspoons olive oil, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, black pepper, kosher salt, fresh basil, and 1 minced garlic clove.
- If shrimp is frozen, place in a colander and run cold water over it for 5 minutes to thaw.
- Toss thawed shrimp in olive oil spiced mixture. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, put remaining half teaspoon olive oil and remaining minced garlic clove.
- Sauté over medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring.
- Drain tomatoes. Set aside.
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces.
- Add broccoli, cauliflower and 2 tablespoons white grape juice to garlic. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes or until broccoli and cauliflower are slightly under cooked.
- Drain off any excess juices.
- In a large sauce pan, put couscous, chicken bouillon cube, almonds, 1/4 cup white grape juice and 3/4 cup water. Over medium heat bring to boil, stirring. Remove from heat and cover.
- In another large frying pan over medium high heat, sauté shrimp for 3-4 minutes until pink and cooked.
- Add shrimp immediately to garlic, broccoli and cauliflower mixture. Toss. Add drained tomatoes. Stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes covered to warm the tomatoes.
- Serve shrimp and vegetables over couscous or toss together to combine and serve.