The first time I had Rolo® cookies I was astounded! Who thought up this amazing cookie? Who thought to put a caramel candy inside a rich chocolate dough and then cover it all with sugar? This is definitely the devil’s food cake of the cookie world.
In fact, I think often of these cookies. And the worst part is I will go to make them and realize I don’t have any Rolo® bags. I think I may start buying up Rolo® bags and freezing them. That way I’ll always have Rolo® bags whenever I get the urge to make these cookies!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 45-50 Rolos®, unwrapped (from a 13-ounce bag)
- 1 cup Sugar in the Raw®
- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; mix well.
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well. If necessary, cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around 1 Rolo® candy, covering completely.
- In small bowl, place Sugar in the Raw®. Roll balls of dough in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 4-5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets when they are set enough to not fall apart in the middle where the caramel in the Rolos® is still soft.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled.