Have you ever eaten that delicious fried rice made on a hibachi grill at a Japanese restaurant? I had some recently and just had to try to make it at home! I absolutely loved it!
It came out really well! I like to use low sodium soy sauce to keep the salt content down, but you can use regular soy sauce if you prefer!
- 14 ounces frozen baby sweet peas
- 6 to 7 cups cooked, short grain white rice
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cubed
- 10-12 green onions, peeled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Vegetable spray
- 1 egg
- 2-4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Thaw frozen peas for about 30 minutes sitting out on the shelf.
- In rice cooker, put 3 measures of rice. Fill to line number 3. Start rice cooker.
- While rice is cooking, dice chicken breast. Set aside.
- Cut off roots of green onions; cut off tops leaving about 2 inches of onion. Peel off outer skin. Discard. Slice. Set aside.
- Measure 2 tablespoons chopped garlic into a small bowl.
- Lightly coat a small frying pan with vegetable spray. Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic. Remove to a small bowl.
- Again lightly coating the frying pan over medium heat with vegetable spray, crack an egg into the frying pan, stirring to scramble. Chop into tiny, flat pieces. Place on a small plate; set aside.
- As soon as rice is cooked, heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Put 3 tablespoons of butter in the center of the pan.
- Add large scoops of rice setting them around the edges of the pan leaving the butter melting in the center.
- Quickly stir rice into the butter to coat it completely.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter and stir rice into it.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce by sprinkling it directly from the bottle and guessing the amount or measuring and sprinkling it from the measuring spoon over the rice.
- Using a flat turner, quickly incorporate the soy sauce in the rice.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Grind fresh black pepper or measure out ¼ teaspoon black pepper over rice. Stir.
- Put baby peas, green onions, garlic, and egg pieces on the rice. Gently stir to incorporate them into the rice.
- In a medium frying pan over high heat, put remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add chicken. Stir to coat chicken with butter. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce over chicken. Stir.
- Remove chicken to large frying pan with rice. Toss together gently.
- Serve immediately.