Potato salad is a great summer food. This picnic staple is classic in my family!
But it has to be made right so it still tastes refreshing and not heavy and pasty. The recipe below is how we make potato salad. I suppose you could say it’s a cross between potato and egg salad, getting the best of both worlds for a hot summer day and a cool evening meal!
- 3 eggs
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 12 red potatoes, medium size
- 1 teaspoon honey Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon sweet relish
- ½ cup low fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- Hard cook the eggs. Put them in cold water covering them. Bring to boil then turn down to medium heat. Set timer to cook them for 10 minutes. Insert eggs in icy cold water. Peel shells off as soon as cool enough to handle. Rinse then dice two eggs. Rinse the third egg but set it aside.
- Wash potatoes, cutting out any bad spots. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large pot, boil potatoes just until done, do not let them cook too long. Test by inserting a fork into a potato piece. If it pierces easily, the potatoes are done.
- Drain water. Set aside potatoes to cool.
- In a large bowl put mustard, relish, mayonnaise, half and half, black pepper, and dill weed. Stir until smooth. Mix in diced celery, red pepper, onion.
- Add cubed potatoes. Toss to coat the potatoes with mayonnaise mixture. Add diced eggs. Stir gently.
- Put salad in a serving bowl. Slice the third hard cooked egg and garnish the salad with it. Refrigerate until ready to serve.