Homemade rolls are the best, aren’t they? My mom and I made this family roll recipe recently. They are our family recipe for Parker House Rolls.
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups flour
- In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/3 cup warm water, and yeast. Stir. Set aside until it gets frothy.
- Put butter in microwave until almost melted, but not hot. In a saucepan, warm up the milk slightly. Do not boil or even let get hot.
- In a large bowl combine 2/3 cup sugar, melted butter, milk, and salt.
- Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add 3 ½ cups of flour to the milk mixture. Beat on low until dough is stretchy.
- Add yeast mixture. Beat on low until smooth.
- Add remaining 2 cups of flour and beat with mixer until dough is stretchy. Stir in remaining 2 ½ cups of flour until smooth. Dough is quite moist. If too tacky to handle, add ½ cup flour. Knead in and shape dough into a ball, scraping loose dough off sides of the bowl.
- Put a piece of waxed paper over the bowl then place a clean, dry cloth over the waxed paper. Set bowl in a warm place. Let rise until double.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a round cookie cutter cut circles out of dough. Fold in half, pinching once at rounded edge. Place on greased cookie sheet, not touching but close to each other.
- Let rise about 45-60 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees on middle rack for 8-10 minutes.