My brother, Keith, makes the best homemade caramel popcorn. I think it is far superior to any bagged caramel popcorn you can buy at the store! It is the tastiest caramel popcorn I’ve ever eaten!
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Put popped popcorn into a very large, microwave safe bowl. Sift through by hand to remove any unpopped kernels.
- Put butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cream of tartar, salt, and soda. Stir until foamy.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn. Stir with a wooden spoon to coat the popcorn.
- Microwave caramel popcorn for 30 seconds on high. Stir. Microwave for 30 seconds again if popcorn is not crispy enough.
- Alternative: Put popcorn in a brown paper bag and microwave for 30 seconds, shake the bag and check to see how crispy. Repeat for 30 seconds if not crispy enough.