Once I discovered that sweet potatoes don’t have to come in a can, I never looked back. The texture, flavor, and color of fresh yams is miles ahead of the canned variety. And they aren’t difficult to make!
I always serve mine with the skins peeled off with a side of Cinnamon Honey Butter. Perhaps it’s not the healthiest condiment but it sure is tasty!
- 2 long, narrow yams
- Wash and peel skin off the sweet potatoes with a potato peeler.
- On a cutting board, cut yams into thick slices. Use a good knife because sweet potatoes are somewhat harder to cut than regular potatoes.
- To cook, place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then turn down the heat.
- Using a fork, test doneness. They should be somewhat soft but not falling apart.
- Drain and allow to cool slightly before serving.