Have you ever taken a recipe and made it into something else? My mom liked a citrus glaze so much that she altered it to become a citrus butter spread. And it’s absolutely divine!
You should definitely use fresh zest instead of dried orange peel. But in a pinch, the dried works great!
- ¼ teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1¼ cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, put fresh orange zest, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice and water. Stir and set aside to allow the orange zest to absorb the juice.
- In a medium bowl, beat together sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add orange zest mixture and whip on medium speed until combined.
- If want thinner consistency, add orange juice ½ teaspoon at a time and whip in with electric mixer.
- If want thicker consistency, add confectioner’s sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and whip in with electric mixer.
- Refrigerate. Spread on hot toast, pancakes, waffles, etc.