Some recipes are just divine, like Chicken Divan. Be sure to use frozen broccoli florets and not fresh broccoli or chopped broccoli. The frozen broccoli florets are much more tender. Trust me, you’ll be disappointed if you don’t use the frozen broccoli florets.
Now you might not think it is possible to get sentimental over Chicken Divan, but I do—just a little bit. It’s a family favorite and is almost considered a comfort food to everyone. Who would have thought that it was possible to be sentimental over broccoli? But it is true, so check out Ella Fitzgerald singing “In a Sentimental Mood.”
- 3 pounds frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 3 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups Low Fat Hellmann’s® Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups skim milk
- 3 cups Cabot® Sharp Light Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 6 cups chicken breast or tenderloin, cooked and diced
- 6 cups cooked Boton® Extra Fancy White Rice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place broccoli in 2 very large casserole dishes. Allow to completely thaw then sop up water in the bottom of the dishes with paper towels.
- In a large pot combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder and skim milk. Allow to simmer over low heat. Add cheese and stir as it melts.
- Add diced, cooked chicken to soup mixture and stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over broccoli in both dishes. Cover the dishes with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and broccoli is slightly less bright green.
- Serve over warm rice.