Bran muffins may not be the normal muffin to crave but I love this bran muffin recipe and have since I was little. The recipe is adapted from a recipe my mom got from the dietician at the hospital when she had me. And no, these muffins don’t taste like hospital food.
- 3 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal, divided
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Put 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal in a bowl. Pour boiling water over it. Stir as cereal soaks up the water. Add sugar, buttermilk, and oil then stir together.
- Add eggs. Stir.
- Combine salt, flour and remaining one cup of Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal in a separate bowl then add to first mixture. Stir until just mixed.
- Add baking soda and stir gently just until incorporated into the batter.
- Using a quarter-cup measure, scoop batter into muffin tins lined with baking cups. I use the Reynolds Wrap® Foil Baking Cups 2 1/2-inch cups. I leave the paper liner inside the foil cup. This batter makes 24 regular sized muffins so make sure you have enough baking cups.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until top springs back when tapped.
Healthier, fewer calorie variation: Use same amount of Splenda to replace sugar. Use finely ground wheat flour in place of All-Purpose flour. The wheat flour will make the muffins even heartier.