Granola is a wonderful, healthy food! Homemade is tasty, but sometimes I want a little something special! My mom devised these tasty and surprisingly sweet Granola Muffins that do not have pre-made granola in them but have the ingredients that are in granola! They are so hearty and filling that you only need to eat one for breakfast! They are the best breakfast muffins I have ever had.
Since they are the best, I thought of “The Best Thing for You” sung by Nat King Cole for today’s Valentine song. What is better for you than someone who loves you?
- 2 ½ cups All-Bran® cereal
- ¼ cups Grapenuts® cereal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- 5 tablespoons wheat germ
- ½ cup dry oatmeal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup Craisins®
- 1 cup coconut chips (Bulk Foods)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sour cream
- 5 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 bananas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine All-Bran®, Grapenuts®, all-purpose flour, wheat flour, wheat germ, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar. Stir to mix.
- Add Criasins® and coconut. Stir to coat Craisins® with flours.
- In a very large, separate bowl with high sides, whip the eggs with an electric mixer until creamy. Add molasses, honey, butter, canola oil, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until smooth.
- Add sour cream and milk. Beat on low speed until combined. There will be little chunks of sour cream still visible.
- Pour dry ingredients into bowl with wet ingredients. Stir together with a large spoon or scraper spatula.
- Peel bananas and put on a plate. With a fork, just slightly smash the bananas. Stir into muffin mixture just until combined.
- Line muffin pan with foil cupcake liners. Fill the liners almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a small knife comes out almost clean after being inserted into one muffin.
- Cool on a cooling rack.