When I was a teenager, I used to get sunflower bread at the local grocery store in Suwanee, GA. When my family moved away, I couldn’t find sunflower bread anywhere.
This week my mom decided our family needed hearty sunflower bread again. She created this recipe from her basic wheat bread recipe and her French bread recipe. It tastes great and now I can have sunflower bread anytime I want it without searching for it in the stores!
- 2 ½ teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ - 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Let mixture sit for five minutes until it bubbles.
- Sprinkle the gluten over the yeast. Do not mix.
- Add the honey, olive oil, warm water, salt, 1½ cups all-purpose flour and ½ cup wheat.
- With electric mixer on low speed, mix until dough looks stretchy—for about two minutes.
- Add remaining all-purpose flour and 1 cup wheat flour. Stir with a large spatula or spoon.
- Add sunflower seeds. Incorporate them into the dough by folding the dough, turning it 90 degrees, and folding again. Repeat until sunflower seeds are in the dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let dough sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir down the dough and add 1 cup wheat flour. Mix with a large spoon or with your hands. If dough is still too moist to handle, add remaining ½ cup wheat flour and knead on a clean surface for about five minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Stir dough down and cover with plastic wrap again. Let it rise for 45 minutes. Stir down. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Put a little olive oil on your hands. Divide dough in half. Shape into two long logs and place each on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Put waxed paper over the loaves and set aside in a warm place to allow the bread to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the crust is browned.
- Remove loaves to cooling rack.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.