Have you ever forgotten to make a favorite food for a while? I have! Until a few days ago, I had not even realized how long it had been since I made stuffed shells.
I used to make them quite often–so often that I never used a recipe. I had to create this one from memory. I did, however, remember that I sometimes add a tablespoon of pesto to the cheese mixture. It’s a great variation!
Stuffed shells are Italian, so today’s song has an Italian flair. Check out “Mambo Italiano” sung by Rosemary Clooney.
- 1 pound jumbo shells
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- Cook jumbo shells according to directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Put all ingredients except shells and pasta sauce in a bowl and mix with a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray. Put half the jar of sauce in the pan and spread evenly.
- Fill each shell with a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling. Lay in pan with the open side up. Repeat until all shells are filled.
- Spread the remaining pasta sauce over the shells.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered with aluminum foil.
For a variation, add a tablespoon of pesto to the cheese mixture.