Don’t you just love brown rice?
I grew up on white rice, but as I got older I discovered the heart healthiness of brown rice. While I still like white rice for fried rice, if given the option, I choose brown rice for some recipes.
Brown rice has an almost nutty, hearty flavor and I find it holds up better to gravies and sauces than white rice
I tried to find a “hearty” song for today to pair with brown rice and settled on “Beware My Heart” sung by June Christy. She was part of the vocal cool movement. Her voice is so different and she’s absolutely delightful to listen to!
- 1 rice cooker measuring cup brown rice
- Water to fill line plus half again as much water (rice cooker will have markings on inside)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Place all ingredients in rice cooker. Cover and start rice cooker.
- Test doneness. Sometimes brown rice takes longer and a little bit more water.