Ever made up a recipe on a whim and have it turn out perfectly? Surprisingly, that did happen last week with these skillet chicken fajitas!
My sister, Amy, was home and we were trying to figure out a meal to make with chicken breast. We thought of fajitas, but all the recipes were either made on the grill or required marinating the chicken for hours. We had 40 minutes until dinnertime!
So we tried just tossing the raw chicken in a rub mixture that my mom created on the spot! We came up with this very easy and incredibly delicious meal! Everyone was amazed at how tasty the fajitas were! Try them and see for yourself! We didn’t have any leftovers!
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds uncooked chicken breast, diced
- 10-15 tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 6-8 ounces cheddar or pepper jack cheese, grated
- Slice red pepper lengthwise about one-eighth-inch wide.
- Slice onion into slightly thicker slices than the red pepper then cut rounds in half.
- In medium frying pan, put 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add red pepper and onion slices. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat but keep red peppers and onions warm in frying pan.
- Combine cumin, chili powder, kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Dice chicken into bite-size pieces. Toss in the spice mixture to coat chicken.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in large frying pan over medium high heat. Add chicken.
- Stir to coat with hot oil. Cook until done, between 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In medium frying pan over medium heat, fry with no oil, tortillas 30 seconds on each side.
- Serve red peppers and onions from the hot frying pans.
- Open refried beans can, empty into a microwave safe bowl and heat covered on low power for 2-3 minutes. Serve in the fajitas or on the side with salsa.
- Set out grated cheese when serving.