Ever love spicy food but had a few people coming to dinner who don’t like the spiciness? This is a toned-down version of my spicy steak rub that makes everyone in the family happy!
It has just enough spice to give the steak a kick, but is mild enough that it doesn’t make you cry! Personally, I love to eat food so spicy that it makes me cry, but I know not everyone feels this way!
Speaking of crying, I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to highlight my absolute favorite “cry” song: “Cry Me a River.” And no one does it better than Julie London. Even though she wasn’t the first to cover the song, her version is the standard by which all others are judged. And in my opinion, hers is the best!
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Combine all ingredients in a shallow bowl.
- Press steaks onto rub. Blot excess on another steak.
- Grill steaks to preferred doneness.