Happy Independence Day! I am so grateful for America!
I’m also grateful for breakfast food, especially French toast. And the best French toast is made with Texas Toast, which is cut especially thick. It’s classic!
Fresh berries, whipped cream, powdered sugar, and syrup always dress up this simple dish!
I just love America and with gratitude, here’s “Amazing Grace” from my album As American As Jazz: A Patriotic Celebration of the USA.
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices of Texas Toast® bread
- Fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- Whipped cream (today we tried Reddi-Wip® Fat Free and it was great)
- Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- Whisk the 4 eggs in a medium bowl. Add water and whisk. Add nutmeg and vanilla.
- Put 1 tablespoon of butter in a non-stick skillet each time you cook a batch of French toast.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat. Once butter is bubbly and skillet is hot, it is ready to cook the French toast.
- Quickly dredge both sides of a slice of Texas Toast® bread in the egg mixture and put on hot skillet to cook. (Do not soak in the egg mixture.) Turn over when first side is done.
- Serve warm with fresh berries, whipped cream, maple syrup, and/or powdered sugar.