Today is really the first day I have felt was “summery,” at least weather-wise. It was sunny and bright all day—no clouds and no rain!
During the summer (and sometimes in the winter, too) we make our own Orange Smoothie recipe that is different from the real Orange Julius®. We like ours better because we tried to make it healthier! We make plain orange, orange banana, and orange raspberry varieties! That last one is new this year and my favorite! You know how much I love raspberries!
Here’s the Chaston method. First make sure you have large disposable plastic cups like Solo® cups on hand so you can freeze the extra amount for future enjoyment! Don’t use glass cups as they have a tendency to break after being in the freezer and dug into with a spoon! But you can use a glass cup if you will eat it right away.
So to celebrate the first real feeling day of summer here in Iowa, here’s just about the greatest jazz tune of all time sung by just about the greatest jazz singer of all time with just about the greatest jazz trumpeter of all time, “Summertime” sung by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
- 1 can (6 ounces) no pulp orange concentrate, partially thawed
- 1 cup milk
- 12 to 20 ice cubes, depending on how much your blender can handle
- Put orange juice concentrate and milk in blender. Add half the ice cubes. Cover. Blend until smooth. Add more ice cubes and blend until the mixture is thick!
- Add one banana. Blend in.
- After pouring into a glass, add frozen raspberries and stir.