As you know, I love meatloaf and I love experimenting with it. This is another tasty version!
Speaking of tasty versions, check out “Nice Work If You Can Get It” sung Ella Fitzgerald.
- 2 cups 8-grain cereal (Bulk Foods)
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yam, uncooked
- 1 large russet potato, uncooked
- ½ cup onion
- 1 red pepper
- ½ teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 4 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups Heinz® ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a very large, microwaveable bowl, place 8-grain cereal, sunflower seeds, parmesan cheese, and milk. Stir.
- Microwave mixture for two minutes on high. Remove from microwave and stir.
- Wash zucchini, yam and russet potato. Grate then add to mixture.
- Dice onion and red pepper. Add to mixture.
- Add black pepper, salt, and eggs. Stir to blend eggs into mixture.
- Melt butter. Add to mixture.
- Add Italian sausage, ground sirloin, and lemon juice. Mix meat and lemon juice into the mixture with your hands.
- Shape mixture into two large loaves about 10” long, 5” wide, and 4” high. Place in two 9” x 13” pans. The loaves will not touch the sides of the pans and will be higher than the sides of the pans.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until center is cooked through. Remove from oven and pour warm sauce over the loaves. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan, combine ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes.
- This meatloaf is tasty the day it is made. It is even better as leftovers, sliced thinly and fried in a pan a couple of minutes on each side.