I’m always looking to make my favorite foods just a little lighter without sacrificing flavor. By using less light mayonnaise and more skim milk as well as light cheese, and lean chicken breast, I think I’ve accomplished it!
I tried to think about a song with light in it that actually meant “less” instead of rays from the moon (moonlight). I found my quarry in the song “Travellin’ Light” by Paul Whiteman’s band with Billie Holiday singing. Billie Holiday isn’t listed in the credits, but trust me–it’s her.
- 2 pounds frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- ¾ cup Hellmann’s® Light Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 ½ cups skim milk
- 1 ½ cups Cabot® Sharp Light Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 2 cups chicken breast or tenderloin, cooked and diced
- 3 cups cooked Boton® Extra Fancy White Rice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place broccoli in large casserole dish. Allow to completely thaw then sop up water in the bottom of the dishes with paper towels.
- In a large pot combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, curry powder and skim milk. Allow to simmer over low heat. Add cheese and stir as it melts.
- Add diced, cooked chicken to soup mixture and stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over broccoli. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes covered. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and broccoli is slightly less bright green.
- Serve over warm rice.