How would you like to make a casserole that looks like spring? Now that Spring is here and Easter is just around the corner, the weather is still not consistent. Sometimes we need a hearty dish that is light yet filling. Besides it snowed last week and it has been so cold. A hot dish is still appropriate!
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups ham, diced
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup petite peas
- Wash and cube potatoes. Put in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Over medium heat, bring potatoes to a boil. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Pour off potato water into a container to reserve it in case more liquid is needed for cream sauce.
- Spray 9”x13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Set potatoes in the pan.
- Dice ham. Spread ham over the potatoes.
- Dice onion and chop garlic.
- Layer onion and garlic over potatoes and ham.
- In a saucepan medium heat, melt butter. Add flour. Stir.
- In the microwave, warm milk for 1 minute on high power.
- Add warm milk while whisking it into the roux. Remove from heat.
- Add sour cream. Stir until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle cheese over potatoes.
- Sprinkle peas over the cheese.
- Pour cream mixture over the peas. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes total. Remove the foil while the casserole bakes for the last 10 minutes.