Do you wish you had an aunt who makes incredible pies? My Aunt Linda makes great pies!
I am lucky she shared so many recipes which I’m now sharing with you (with her blessing, of course). This is one of my favorites!
I’ve always loved fresh fruit pie, but mine never held together that well–even when I allowed it to set up. My pies also did not preserve the fresh fruit flavor either.
But Linda has a way with food! In my eyes, she works magic! The pie cuts perfectly and tastes just as good as it looks!
So try out this delicious pie and take a listen to “It’s Magic” sung by Dinah Washington.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup lard, shortening, or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cups blueberries, divided
- 2/3 cup cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cut shortening into flour and salt until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1-2 tablespoons cold water, mixing slowly until dough forms a ball. Roll out on floured surface into an 11" circle. Fold gently in half and ease onto pie plate, pressing dough into the plate and finishing edge as desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar until it is smooth.
- Spread over the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
- Line a jelly roll pan with two layers of paper towels.
- Rinse blueberries then gently spread them over the paper towels to drain.
- Crush 1/2 cup blueberries on a large plate.
- Put cranberry juice in a medium bowl. Add crushed blueberries to cranberry juice. Stir to combine.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in half of the crushed blueberry and cranberry juice mixture to make a paste. Then stir in remaining half.
- Whisking constantly bring mixture to a boil over medium low heat. Continue stirring for 1-2 minutes until it thickens. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, put the blueberries and pour cooled filling over them. Toss gently to coat the blueberries.
- Lay the blueberry filling over the cream cheese filling.
- Refrigerate to let the pie set.