This morning I decided to experiment with my biscuit recipe! As you know, I love biscuits and am always looking for a new way to try them.
Though not the prettiest drop biscuit, these are not lacking in flavor. They are perfect to pair with fruit and whipped cream. In fact, they are almost like a cakey shortbread.
When I think of the word “drop” I inevitably think “teardrop,” which leads me to think of the sad, jazz ballad “Blame it on My Youth.” So take a listen to Frank Sinatra’s version and see for yourself if you agree and think of teardrops–and drop biscuits–too.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in cubed butter with a pastry cutter.
- Stir in milk. Batter will be very wet.
- Drop by large spoonfuls on a parchment- or silicone mat-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through.