My all-time favorite rice dish is curry rice. Who can ever get enough of great curry rice?
I always use the hot curry mix. You can actually add whatever vegetables you have on hand like petite peas, red or green pepper, broccoli, or even cauliflower. If using broccoli or cauliflower from a head (not a frozen bag), I suggest cutting up the head and steaming the florets for a just a few minutes to make sure they aren’t too crunchy.
Just always include the potatoes because they add subtle flavor that allows the curry seasoning to take center stage.
Tonight front and center is the curry rice I love so take a listen to “There is No Greater Love” sung by Billie Holiday.
- 3 portions Botan® Calrose Rice
- ½ cup baby carrots
- 1 large potato
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large onion
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 2 S&B® Golden Curry® Sauce Mix—mild, medium, or hot
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits (optional)
- Start cooking the rice according to rice cooker directions.
- Measure out baby carrots. Peel and cube potato and sweet potato.
- In a large saucepan, put carrots, potato, and sweet potato. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook just until potato is tender. Drain vegetables into a colander.
- Peel zucchini. Cut into quarters lengthwise. Then cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Cut onion into quarters and then chunks that are large pieces. Set aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size cubes.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add onions. Saute for a minute. Add chicken. Turn chicken breast cubes to cook on all sides.
- In another large saucepan, bring cups water to a boil. Add S&B® Golden Curry® Sauce Mix, breaking up the bar into pieces. Reduce heat. Stir until the pieces of curry sauce mix are completely blended with the water.
- Pour curry sauce over chicken and onions into large frying pan. Gently spoon vegetables into the sauce mix. Stir.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over rice.