Thanksgiving is just eight days away. It’s stuffing time! Those bread cubes of delight are a Thanksgiving staple. And it’s not that hard to make the bread cubes yourself!
As for a song, I thought about cubes. Nothing. Then I thought about squares and remembered “Dewey Square” played by Charlie Parker.
- 2 French bread baguettes, cut into ½ inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread cubes on a large baking pan with low sides—a jelly roll pan works.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning, sage and black pepper over the cubes.
- Toss the cubes with your hands to coat them with the spices.
- Turn oven down to 250 degrees. Put pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and toss the cubes with a large spoon. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes longer. If the cubes are toasted thoroughly, turn the oven off and let them continue to bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let the cubes completely cool before putting them in a sealable plastic bag to save them for future use. Put in the freezer to store.