Again, I’ve got another recipe for biscuits! This time is my own recipe of Cornmeal Honey Biscuits. I love to try out new combinations to make the humble biscuit somewhat sensational.
Since biscuits make my mornings better, I’m thinking they could make anyone’s morning brighter…even the sad soul in the lyrics of “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.” I love this song, particularly when it’s sung by the incomparable Frank Sinatra.
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon buttermilk or clabbered milk
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, buttermilk, and honey for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Pulse twice. Then add chilled butter, cut into small chunks.
- Process the butter with the flour mixture until small crumbles form. Pour into a large bowl. Add liquid mixture and stir with a fork until moistened.
- Pour out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 6-8 times.
- Shape into a square that is about an inch thick. Cut into nine squares.
- Place on Silpat® lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until golden on top and cooked in the middle.