This recipe is more than cornbread and more than pound cake–it’s both!
My mom developed this recipe to mimic a local restaurant’s cornbread pound cake. I didn’t know until I was a teenager that most cornbread doesn’t taste like this!
I love it right out of the oven with a pat of butter. There’s just nothing quite like it! It’s sweet and hearty at the same time. Absolutely delicious!
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs just until creamed together.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately, stirring just until mixed after each addition.
- Spray 9”x13” pan with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into pan. Smooth out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn oven light on to check doneness. Opening the oven will cause the cornbread to fall.