Do you know why the second week in July is a special time in Dubuque, Iowa? It is when Fincel’s Sweet Corn is sold for the first time during the growing season!
This corn is famous in eastern Iowa. People literally line up very early in the morning just to buy some Fincel’s Sweet Corn on the first day it is available. This year my brother, Erik, set his alarm to make sure we got up in time to get a good place in line! We go on the first day every year! And many days thereafter! We love Fincel’s Sweet Corn so much we got corn plates especially for using when we eat!
It just doesn’t feel like summer until that first crop of corn is picked then eaten.
Do you know the best way to prepare fresh corn on the cob from Fincel’s? There are no fancy spices or kitchen gadgets needed–just a big pot with a lid, water, and the corn. Each person can then season to taste.
- 6 ears of fresh corn, shucked
- Shuck the corn.
- Put 6 cups of water in a tall pasta pot then put the lid on and set over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Remove lid. Add corn.
- Turn heat down to medium. Put lid back on pot.
- Cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- With long tongs, remove corn from pot and put in a large serving bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, and butter to taste.