Don’t you just love scones?
Yet sometimes I feel like scones are too dry or practically flavorless. Enter two kinds of raisin, dried cranberry, and orange zest! What’s better in the morning than a citrusy, sunshine scone?
- 2 cups + 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- ½ cup cold half-and-half cream
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons large, coarse sugar
- 1 teaspoon cold water (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, granulated sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut butter into small cubes then dump into flour mixture. Toss to coat butter.
- With pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until the butter pieces are the size of a large green pea.
- In a small bowl, place golden raisins, raisins, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon flour over them and stir to coat.
- Add to flour mixture. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 egg, orange zest, and half-and-half cream.
- Add to flour mixture. Using a large spoon, barely mix wet and dry ingredients.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on your work surface. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour. Spread flour over parchment paper.
- Dump crumbly dough onto flour on parchment paper. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon flour.
- Gently press dough into a 9-inch by 6-inch rectangle about ¾-inch thick.
- With a scraper, cut in half lengthwise then cut across into thirds so you have 6 large squares.
- Cut each square in half corner to corner to make triangles.
- Line baking sheet with a new piece of parchment paper.
- Place scone triangles on baking sheet at least ½-inch apart.
- Place remaining egg in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon of cold water. Stir with a fork to make egg wash.
- Brush egg wash on the tops of the scones.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-13 minutes.
- The tops and bottoms of the scones should be golden brown and the centers should be flaky.