Today’s recipe is another recipe my mom recently made. I haven’t been in the kitchen the past two days. These cinnamon rolls are seriously amazing, though! And the secret? Mashed potatoes. Really!
The roll above has browned butter icing on it. So tasty!
And do you know what else is tasty? A good Jelly Roll Morton song. Check out “Black Bottom Stomp” recorded in 1926! I love it!
- 4 1/4 cups flour (up to 1 1/2 cups of finely ground wheat flour can be used with 2 3/4 cups white flour)
- 1 package yeast
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup cooked, mashed potatoes (ours even had the red skins since we make our potatoes with the skins on them)
- 1/3 cup butter, cut up
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour with yeast; set aside.
- In saucepan stir together milk, mashed potatoes, 1/3 cup butter, sugar, and salt then heat until use warm and buyer is almost melted.
- Pour liquid into flour mixture and add eggs. Beat with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds then for 3 minutes on high.
- With a spoon, stir in 2 1/2 cup flour. If dough is getting too dry, do not add last 1/4 cup. If still too wet and sticky to handle, add last 1/4 cup and up to 1/2 cup more flour.
- Dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Place in a bowl sprayed with Pam®, turning dough once and covering with plastic wrap and a clean dish cloth.
- Let rise until double, about an hour.
- Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Spray Pam® on a 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Roll dough into 18x12-inch rectangle. Spread 1/4 cup butter over dough. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over butter, leaving the edge that will be the open edge after rolling the dough into a spiral.
- Cut dough with string into 12 pieces. Place them in pan, cut side down and up.
- Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise until double, about 40 minutes.
- Bake 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes until done.
- 3/8 cup butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Brown buyer in saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a bowl. Pour browned butter into sugar mixture. Beat on medium speed. Add by teaspoon at a time if too thick. Add by 1/4 cup powdered sugar at a time if too runny.
- Smear over slightly cooled cinnamon rolls.