Potatoes in cinnamon rolls? Yes!
I was a little girl when I first found out about potato dinner rolls. I was definitely skeptical, but once I got over my skepticism I found out that I love potato rolls!
But I hadn’t tried a cinnamon potato roll before until recently. I wondered if the cinnamon roll could handle the potato. But it did and it was delicious!
So I was on a quest to develop a great cinnamon potato roll recipe. I think this is it!
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- ¾ cup warm water, divided
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup potato flakes
- ½ cup milk
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 3 ¾ - 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Put yeast, ¼ cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl. Stir. Set aside until frothy.
- Bring to a boil remaining ½ cup water in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add potato flakes. Stir.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, put potato mixture, milk, salt, and butter. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add yeast mixture and egg. Beat on low with electric mixer.
- Add 3 cups of flour, one at a time. Mix after each addition.
- Add remaining ¼ cup flour and knead by hand for 2 minutes or until dough is soft but not sticky.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in mixing bowl until double, for about an hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently press dough into a 15”x8” rectangle.
- Combine in a small bowl, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Drizzle whipping cream over dough. Spread to the edges of the dough with the back of a large spoon.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over dough.
- Roll up dough lengthwise. Cutting with a bench scraper, cut into 12 equal slices.
- Line with parchment paper, then spray with vegetable spray a 13”x9” baking pan.
- Place rolls cut side down. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rolls rise for 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 12-5 minutes.
- Cool on rack. Lifting rolls out of pan by the edges of the parchment paper, remove rolls from pan to cool completely on a rack.
- In a medium bowl, using a large spatula scraper stir or paddle the cream cheese until there are no lumps.
- Add butter. Stir to combine.
- Add confectioner’s sugar. Stir until thick. Add vanilla and heavy whipping cream. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Lightly frost rolls.