Don’t you just love ordering fajitas at the restaurant? This is an easy homemade recipe that includes avocados instead of guacamole. There is something marvelous about avocado slices!
To keep you up to day, my law finals start next week. Being sick this week, I have felt a bit foggy! But instead of a “foggy” song, I thought I’d suggest a song that is a twist on fog! So take a listen to quintessential Sarah Vaughan singing “Misty.” I am feel better already!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- ½ cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 8 ounces hot pepper cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1 large onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 10-12 TortillaLand® tortillas
- ½ cup fresh salsa
- Cut chicken breasts into cubes. Place in a sealable bag. Pour Italian dressing over the cubed chicken. Close the bag and jostle the chicken to allow the dressing to coat it. Put in refrigerator for an hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and rinse the dressing off the chicken by running water over the raw meat in a colander.
- Line a baking tray with several thicknesses of paper towels. In a single layer, place the chicken on the paper towels to drain off the water. Set aside.
- Grate hot pepper cheese. Set aside.
- Cut, peel, and slice avocado. Set aside.
- Peel and then cut the onion into slices. Cut the slices in half. Set aside.
- Core the red pepper then slice in to strips.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, put olive oil. Add onion and red pepper slices. Coat them with the oil by stirring gently. Remove from heat as soon as vegetables are slightly tender and caramelized. Place in a serving plate and cover with foil. Set aside.
- In the same large frying pan over medium high heat, cook cubed chicken until cooked, no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- In a medium frying pan (with no oil) over medium heat, cook tortillas on each side so they are golden brown in many spots.
- Assemble fajitas by putting chicken, onions, red pepper, cheese, and avocado. Top with fresh salsa.