Is it just me or do you also feel like baking when it is rainy all day?
Today it rained on and off and I baked a lot! One thing I made was cheddar cheese cornbread. I figured out the right amount of cheese so the cornbread is neither greasy nor soggy. Using dried, chopped chives instead of fresh onion helped keep the moisture down as well.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons dried, chopped chives
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9”x9” square pan or 9” round pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg, and butter. Whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir gently, leaving some lumps.
- Add the grated cheese, chives, and onion powder. Stir just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan, leveling the top.
- Bake for 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.