Sugar cookies are classic. You can cut them into any shape, though I do really like hearts because they are very easy to get out of the cookie cutter!
- 15 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ cup all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, cream butter, granulated sugar, powdered sugar and egg with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts, and salt. Blend.
- Add 2 cups flour. Mix thoroughly. Stir the remaining ¼ cup flour by hand if too stiff for electric mixer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a round, flat circle. Set on a floured surface. Pat and spread dough slightly. Sprinkle flour over the top of the dough. Roll gently to half-inch thickness.
- Cut out by hand or with cookie cutters. Repeat for remaining half of dough.
- Set cookies an inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until slightly browned around the edges.
- While still on parchment paper, drizzle icing over cookies and sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.