My sister, Amy, made Buttermilk Banana Bread today and she shared the recipe with me. So, of course, now I’m sharing it with you!
The original recipe is from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. I love her site and you should definitely check it out!
Adapted from a recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 average-sized bananas)
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 1 large pie pan. (You can use loaf pans if you like. I just like using a pie pan.) Prepare topping in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla until the batter is well mixed. Add flour, baking powder, salt and soda. Mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pie pan. Sprinkle topping over top of batter. Use as much or as little as you like.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.