I love cranberries! But just like pecans, you have to sort them before you use them. Throw out any soft berries; each berry should be firm. Plus, a good cranberry bounces!
So to help remind you that you should only keep cranberries that bounce, check out “Billie’s Bounce” sung by Ella Fitzgerald.
- 3-4 cups fresh cranberries, sorted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup water
- Sort cranberries. Put cranberries in a strainer. Rinse with water. Put all the firm cranberries in a large multi-cup measuring container.
- Reserve one cup of cranberries aside. Put remaining cranberries in a large saucepan. Add sugar and water.
- Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- After all cranberries have popped, add cranberries that were set aside. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and uncover.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- It will be very thick after being refrigerated.