Blueberry muffins are so refreshing in the morning! And they really aren’t that hard to make. In fact you can even use this recipe for banana and apple muffins, but the blueberries combine with the very dense, thick batter perfectly!
Blueberries are a great fruit. My family has five blueberry bushes in our backyard! They do not grow superbly in the Midwest but they do grow with a lot of the right mulch and fertilizer! Our crop for two years has been about a cup! So it’s a good thing frozen blueberries are always available!
Speaking of blue, here’s “Blue Moon” sung by Frank Sinatra.
- 1 ½ - 2 cups frozen blueberries
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Lay frozen blueberries on paper towels in single layer in order to let them thaw and drain off ice particles.
- Line muffin tins. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Beat until mixture is light yellow.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently stir flour mixture into butter mixture. The batter will be dense and thick.
- Add blueberries to batter, barely stirring.
- Fill lined muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of topping on each muffin.
- Bake for 14-22 minutes. The variance in baking time is due to how full the cupcake papers are filled. Cupcakes are done when they are firm yet a little bit moist in the cracks on top.