I lived in Georgia as a teenager and sausage gravy was a southern staple! This is a creamy, yet not heavy, gravy with my favorite–spicy sausage!
I used a classic baking powder biscuit recipe. You don’t want to use anything too fancy that would take away from the flavors in the sausage gravy.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- Dash coarsely ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Brown sausage in a frying pan. Remove from stovetop. Drain off excess grease. If necessary, to thoroughly drain the sausage, put it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the butter. Stir until it is melted and mixed into the sausage.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage and toss to coat the sausage.
- Return to burner on medium heat and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add milk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring often.
- Serve over biscuits.