My brother makes the absolute best Banana Cream Pies. We love this recipe!
Often we do make our own pie crust, but sometimes the time just isn’t there. So we do keep some store-bought pie shells in the freezer.
Since today’s focus is on pie, check out Dinah Shore singing the novelty tune “Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy!”
- 2 frozen deep dish pie shells
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups skim milk
- 3 tablespoons Land O'Lakes® butter
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 4-5 just ripe bananas
- Bake two freezer pie deep dish pie shells according to directions. Set aside to cool.
- Separate egg whites into an electric mixer bowl to use in a different recipe.
- Put yolks into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Stir to mix.
- Slowly pour milk into saucepan with sugar mixture and stir while pouring.
- Over medium heat, bring almost to a boil. Stirring constantly with a flat, slotted spatula to reach all the edges.
- Pour about one-third of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, stirring so that the yolks do not cook hard.
- Pour all the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan.
- Stirring constantly over medium heat to boiling for one minute.
- Quickly remove from the heat. Add butter and vanilla.
- Slice bananas on a slant diagonally, layering them into the baked pie shells.
- Pour slightly cooled filling over the bananas in the pie shells. Adjust the filling by tapping lightly so that all bananas are covered with filling. Refrigerate for an hour and a half.